Version 2 of the program can do everything that Version 1 can do, but can also create newspaper-style crosswords from an internal dictionary, by auto-filling grids of pre-defined word slots. Grids are square in shape, with the words slots arranged symmetrically across the diagonals.
- Comes with around 200 stock grids, from 7x7 to 27x27 squares in size.
- Includes a built-in dictionary of some 60,000 words and phrases.
- Can generate any number of alternative fills with a single mouse-click (up to several thousand).
- Add clues manually, or import them along with a word list.
- Can mix dictionary words with imported words/clues (from a file or the Windows clipboard).
- Customise the dictionary - word-frequency in written English, parts-of-speech etc.
- Around 20% of the dictionary words/phrases are assigned to Subject Categories, some of which have example, 'place-holder', clues already assigned. Words in Subject Categories can be viewed and selectively switched on/off.
- Can replace words in a completed grid.
- Save the filled grid as a .xwd file for later use.
- Print any combination of empty grid, filled grid, clue list, answer list etc.
- Save the output to a Rich Text or HTML file.
These pages demonstrate how the program can be used to create a finished crossword.